Thursday, June 7, 2012

Serendipity

Considering the lucrative tariffs and freebies on your mobile phone, it is virtually impossible to imagine that anybody would have been spared from the reach of the forwarded message through SMS, Facebook or BBM. It could be a short quote or a joke which brings a smile on your face. I, for one, am definitely one of the senders of such messages on numerous occasions. We like some of them more than the others and feel this urge to share it with our friends.

Why is it that at times we feel good by reading such messages? This thought reminded me of the word "Serendipity" Simply put its either the accidental discovery of something pleasant, valuable, or useful or a natural gift for making pleasant, valuable, or useful discoveries by accident.

There was a movie with a same name released more than a decade ago about a couple who decide to part ways to see if destiny had any plans for them to meet again. Well I don't think I need to tell what happened in the end...hmmm.

Coming back to the subject of this blog, the very fact that I am blogging is an example of the subject. Well to some of you, who accidentally clicked on the link I forwarded you....well how this experience turns out, I leave that to you. Actually, the remaining who chose to click, my endeavor would be to make this worthwhile of your precious time and effort. For all the readers who read till the end, I promise to share the secret of how you could double your money without any risk. This is 100% fool proof given the uncertain economic state of affairs. So do stick on till the end.

I am sure I would have shared this story of how I ended up where I am today with most of you.

This is how it went...

During my last years at school, I wanted to be a doctor. I had in fact joined some prestigious coaching institute for improving my chances of making it through the entrance exams. However, unable to clear it in my first attempt I landed up in Hindu College to at least save a year and complete my graduation. After the first six months, the thought of being a doctor had already deserted me. I never attempted the entrance exam again. I joined NIS Sparta for a part time diploma in Sales & Marketing to try out my chances in the field of Sales. I wasn't too happy with the course content and dropped out mid way. Two years into college, nothing really great to look forward to and I was stuck doing Botany Honours. I joined the RAT race..oops CAT race for being a MBA from a premier institute. So again I joined another prestigious institute for coaching.
Well, I did get as far as an interview call to XLRI Bhuvanshwar. Well, as things would have it, I completed my graduation with First Division (only I know those sleepless nights I had just before the exam day) with nothing concrete yet in sight. Immediately after graduation, I applied Law School through an entrance exam and yes I cleared it in my first attempt. So was I going to be a lawyer now? Meanwhile before my law results were out, I took up the first job I got in a small internet start up company as a Business Development Executive. I was in two minds in what to continue and what to leave. I decided to carry on both simultaneously for some time. As luck would have it, this company I had joined decided to close down after four months of joining. And there I was with just one option of completing my Law course.

Come December 2001, my ex-colleague at NIS and a very good friend of mine, Rajesh Kandari told me about a campus interview by a MNC Bank at NIS. I was not interested in the same initially and politely declined the offer. At his insistence, I agreed to accompany him and in the process got short listed for another interview next day. Sadly though my colleague wasn't to come next day, and I came all decked up for my final interview. And yes, I did get an offer letter to join immediately.

And here I am till today in the banking line after changing three jobs. I just ensure that I do my best in whatever role I get. I have got this important breakthrough by serendipity so I always try and back it up with my efforts. The one thing which mattered most, according to me, was the fact that I love to talk to lot of people, make new friends and was a good listener. Probably something this job required the most.

So that's my story so far....from not being a doctor, lawyer, sales guy to be heading  the collections support unit and yet nowhere near half way of my professional career, I am sure to find myself at cross roads very soon where nothing seems to be concrete. I too have sleepless nights at timely pondering what would be the best thing to happen in the future. But, it is just these small forwarded messages at times which re-iterates my belief in myself that I will overcome whatever the situation might be tomorrow. And yes while I look forward to what future has in store for me, I strive to accomplish the current given task to the best of my ability.

Moral of the story - When opportunity knocks at your door, make the most
of it !!! :)

I leave you all with one such forwarded message which I had stumbled upon yesterday....

If you want something you never had, do something you have never done.
Don't go the way life takes you; take life the way you go.
Remember you are born to live & not living because you were born..

Do share your comments on this....

P.S – As promised, I share this secret of doubling your money. Here it comes..

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” ;)

9 comments:

  1. Good one Bhupesh Dhawan.. Really we can't estimate the situation where life is going to leave us.. The best thing is "When opportunity knocks at your door, make the most
    of it !!! :)"..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Sir! I really liked your idea of doubling the money. Wish I could follow this.Keep Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true...Coincidence-I had undergone similar experiences- presently in my third job--Serendipity-the ideal word--

    ReplyDelete
  4. mystic isn't it !! love the word serendipity !! your career story is exactly the same ..wherein I wanted to be CA but flunged, ICWA cleared Intermediate but never tried attempting the final examination.

    Landed up in collections and after 15 days I realised that this department where everybody shouts at top of their voices ...is COLLECTIONS !!

    At last just wanted to say...Faith is taking first step when you can't see whole staircase.

    Good writing bhupi..you are inspirational...stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice ending thoughts! quite surprised that I wasn't aware of all this happening through these years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good one sir, ive read it....its like i planned to become an aeronautical engineer, in mid i did Hotel Mgmt diploma course,in house keeping and front office, then joined travel trade, and gave my stints in sales and collections sales with various banks, and sales and collections for Barclay's, now planning my own venture in Construction and interior decoration Agency. Also would like to mention, in 2002, I appeared for Civil Services and UPPSC Exams,which I cleared my prelims in my first attempt, but could not go ahead due to some family reasons.......Please keep posting your blogs,I would love to read them more and more....Vikkie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! It was kind of motivating for a student like me who has just given her 12th Boards and is a confused mind for what to choose as undergraduate course.
    And yea I liked it ---- "serendipity".
    Thumbs up for the blog.
    thanx for showing some hope that even confused minds excel ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liked it a lot..........went back to the old times :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha Bhupesh..... I really liked your idea of doubling up the money.....Indeed you are a good story teller so one thing you need not worry about is how the future is gonna look like. I am sure that you have a bright future ahead and keep illuminating the life of the people who comes in contact with you through your beautiful thoughts,experiences and your write ups.

    ReplyDelete