Thursday, December 23, 2010

Luck By Chance

Disclaimer: I have been thinking about this for almost the entire of last week. I am not the subject matter expert and would welcome my readers to please post their thoughts on this blog. This thought is more driven by my mind than my heart. I am not trying to demean anyone’s thoughts & beliefs.

Do you believe in a simple four letter word called LUCK? Are you one who would pick up the newspaper and skip the headlines to first check your daily astrological forecast? Or switch your television and check out what’s in store for today? Going by the no. of TV channels serials and newspapers columns in circulation, I am sure a lot of you would feature in that list (including me). Sometimes these forecasts are head on and sometimes they don’t. Logically and statistically speaking there are 6.9 billion people (click here for latest update) on this globe and divided by the 12 Zodiac signs, hence each forecast caters to an audience of 500 millions people of the same star sign.

When we look around us, we find that some people are more successful than others. We are living in this world of limited opportunity in which a lot of us claim not being so-called “lucky”. I guess that one of the biggest delusions of success is that successful people don’t fail while the truth is that they fail more times than other people. 

One of my friend asked me how much weightage would you give to Luck against Ability? I am very confused and in split mind in my thought process. I would give it a 90%-10% in favour of ability. I am confident that a lot of people will not agree with me as stroke of luck definitely is also a factor which cannot be ignored. There can surely be a lot of instances like buying a lottery ticket, lucky draw, windfall gain where ability stands no chance. However in normal day to day living, I quote this very famous line- "Success is when Preparation meets Opportunity."  Without ability we would not reach anywhere even if we are lucky.

Some of the factors which contributes to success more than luck

Meet
Opportunity Half Way
– People who have taken initiatives and have been more proactive have made more progress than people who kept waiting for the perfect time to come.


Consistency pays – Try, Try till you succeed. Success has often come to those who have been disciplined in their approach and not lost their path after failures.

Fortune Favours the Brave - We should not bank on chance to become lucky…rather we should continue our efforts to reach our target.

Diligence is the mother of good luck. ~ Benjamin Franklin.  

This list is surely incomplete and I urge you to share your thoughts on this as this would bring out some more perspective on this.

I leave you all with this thought“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”
Bhupesh

7 comments:

  1. The four letter words LUCK have never worked for me but I still strongly believe in it. I have seen lot of people who do all the right things in life and still not end up successful and many people do a lot of wrong things and end up quite lucky. No body plans their luck; luck comes when people try; consistently trying to achieve what they desire. We should not wait for someone else to make our life richer, fuller or more satisfying; we should make our luck work for us. For me luck is a medium for trying, its gives strength to my efforts; efforts to fulfil my desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing this quote for long "Bad luck Karab Hai" I can say when few things go wrong we more often blame luck for that than good luck. We don't see good luck coming to us but feels other is always lucky.

    I remember a story where laxmiji demands from Vishnuji that one of his devotee is not given wealth. Vishnuji tells her his luck is not favourable. On laxmiji insistence Vishnuji has to prove that. He place a pot of gold on his way. That devotee is walking and sudddenly he fees like experiencing. How a blind man feeling? So he closes his eyes and starts walking. He misses the gold pot. Behind him another man is walking and has his eyes open and sees the gold.

    So moral while walking keep your eyes on your path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my view the LUCK is more important than the ability.Even if we are living in the environment which is more mod and developed,But still there is some thing which is moving us silently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a confusing topic... I mean if I believe in ability then I also believe in past karma... so it is likely that even though I am able, my past bad karma might hinder my success... The other side of the scales would say you can overcome your past karma with your abilities... but its a vicious circle... in today's day and age all around us people are running for success so I can question what happened to their good past karma, wouldn't that simply help in attaining all the money and happiness without having to run after it?
    I am a believer in God and Sai Baba's teachings reveal that we should always look inside rather than look outside for happiness/success... yet we should continue our duties in whatever role we have on this earth. Rest that is happening around us is simply a master plan wherein we are merely existing to pay off our past debts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me its ABILITY for that i have a stong example of MR. Sachin Tendulkar which has lot of ability but little bit of luck on other side MR M S Dhoni who is married to luck but having a girl friend whom he meets once or twice named Ability

    ReplyDelete
  6. LUCK is much more important than ABILITY - all people who work hard demonstrating ABILITY don't achieve everything in life as desired, LUCK is always important for success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE FIRST AND MOST
    IMPORTANT STEP TOWARDS
    SUCCESS, IS THE FEELING THAT
    WE CAN SUCCEED , then LUCK is with you .(White keys of piano are happy moments & black keys are sad ones. But remember both keys are played together to get sweet music thats life ).

    ReplyDelete